Contact Animal Control

If you had to evacuate, are you ready?
Black-Bear-headPrepare, Plan, Stay Informed
Emergency Preparedness for Animals
Animal Control’s mission
To promote the health, safety and welfare of the people, pets, and wildlife of New Canaan.
Animal Control is a section of the New Canaan Police Department and is governed by two entities:
Connecticut State Department of Agriculture Statutes: Click Here
New Canaan Town Ordinances: Click Here
Contact Us
For questions and comments related to Animal Control issues, please feel free to email Animal Control or call our office at 203 594 3510.

Animal Control Officer
Sean Godejohn

New Canaan Police Department
39 Locust Avenue (temporary address)
New Canaan, CT 06840

The town maintains a small shelter at the transfer station where roaming and stray dogs are safely housed, (impounded) until reunited with their owners or placed for adoption. Should your dog be impounded, the redemption fee is $15.00. After 24 hours with us, there is an additional $25.00 daily boarding fee. If your dog is not licensed, we may require you obtain a town license prior to releasing your dog.

There are no laws that require roaming cats to be impounded, therefore, only sick or injured cats are handled by Animal Control. If you are missing your cat, we do keep a log, so please call us. Micro-chip your cat to ensure you can be located quickly if it is found. Remember that roaming cats are prey for coyotes.

Helpful Information
Rabies is a virus that any warm blooded animal can get, if not vaccinated. Transmission can occur by coming in contact with the saliva of an infected animal. You cannot tell if an animal is rabid by looking at it. Only testing of brain tissue of a suspect animal is confirmation.

Never go near or touch, a sick, injured, or orphaned wild animal.
Contact Animal Control, at 203 594 3510, or the Police Department, at 203 594 3500, for assistance. If you do come in contact or are bitten by a wild animal, WASH the affected area immediately. Use gloves to handle your pet if it came in contact with a sick or injured animal. Animal Control or Police Officers will humanely euthanize the sick animal and arrange for testing when direct contact is determined.

IMG_0065 - Copy
We can assist with routine wildlife questions and concerns, with the understanding that we share our town with a large variety of creatures such as, but not limited to: Bat, Fox, Deer, Coyote, Bobcat, Fisher, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Woodchuck, Squirrel, Muskrat, Snake, Turkey, Snapping Turtle and Birds of Prey. The newest addition is Black Bear passing through each Spring into Summer. Intentionally harming wildlife is considered Animal Cruelty and a crime.
Nuisance wildlife, e.g. raccoons, bats, and squirrels in your attic, can be resolved humanely by hiring a reputable Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator. (NWCO) Ask questions about how to prevent animals from getting into your dwellings, and ask what happens to the animals when they are removed. Bats found inside your home should be removed by a NWCO and it will be determined if the bat should be submitted for testing. Information on local NWCO’s can be found online: Here
Coyote Safety
We request you report sightings to our office. Small dogs and cats are at risk. Please never leave your small dog out alone especially at dusk & dawn. Do not leave food outside at any time. Fruit trees attract wildlife as do bird feeders. It is recommended that fallen fruit be cleaned up and bird feeders be taken in at night. Fencing is the best deterrent for coyotes.

Coyote Hazing Guidelines
Hazing is a method that uses deterrents to move an animal out of an area or discourages an undesirable behavior or activity. Hazing can help maintain coyotes’ fear of humans and deter them from neighborhood spaces such as backyards and playgrounds.

Using a variety of different hazing tools is critical because coyotes can habituate to individual items, sounds, and actions.
Yell and wave your arms while approaching the coyote.
Use noisemakers- your voice, whistles, air horns, bells, soda cans filled with pennies or dead batteries, pots and pans banged together. Use projectiles- sticks, small rocks, cans, tennis balls, or rubber balls.
Try other repellents- hoses, water guns with vinegar water, spray bottles with vinegar water, pepper spray, bear repellent, or walking sticks.

We are now requesting you report Bear sightings.
For more information regarding wildlife you can contact the DEEP: Click Here AND Wildlife in Crisis

Licensing Your Dog
The State of Connecticut Department of Agriculture requires that you obtain an annual license for your dog, six months or older. You can obtain a license in Town Hall at the Town Clerk’s office, 203 594 3070. You will need a current rabies certificate and proof your dog has been neutered. The license fee is higher if your dog is not neutered.

Spencer’s Run Dog Park
New Canaan offers a 1.5 acre off-leash fenced area for dogs to run and play with other canine friends. The park is located by the Lapham Road entrance to Waveny Park. The dog park is open 7 days a week from sunrise to sunset and open to all who register.
You can register your dog(s) with the New Canaan Parks & Recreation office, located in Waveny Mansion at 203 594 3600 or Click Here
Once you have registered, we request that your dog have 3 tags- Rabies, Town License, and Spencer’s Run, while in the park. Animal Control will monitor the park routinely to ensure compliance.

We hope everyone will follow the rules and enjoy the park.