The New Canaan Police Department is an internationally accredited agency that is NO LONGER accepting applications for the position of full-time entry level Police Officer.
Applicants must be at least 21 year of age, have a minimum of 60 college credits or 2 years of military service. Prior police experience will be evaluated on a case by case basis; however certified officers must participate in the full Entry Level testing process. A valid CHIP card and a minimum passing score of 75% on the CPCA Entry Level Written Exam are required prior to applying. Potential candidates will be required to complete and successfully pass a written examination, physical agility test, peer interview, polygraph examination, oral interview(s), psychological evaluation, medical examination and a thorough background investigation. A competitive wage and benefits package will be offered in accordance with the current labor contract.
Veterans, women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply when we are hiring. The New Canaan Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
• Salary Range $61,303–$85,595
• Extra Duty Rate of $70/hour
• Defined Benefit Pension
• Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance
• Up to 24 Days Paid Vacation per year
• 12 Paid Holidays
• Evening and Night Shift Differential
• College Tuition Reimbursement
• Uniform & Equipment Purchase Allowance
• Uniform Cleaning Allowance
• Special Response Team
• School Resource Officer
• Police Bike Patrol
• Police Motorcycle Patrol
• Accident Reconstruction Team
• Community Impact Officer
• Field Training Officer
• Detective Bureau
• Any Felony Convictions
• Any Conviction of a Class A or Class B Misdemeanor (under CT Law or in any other jurisdiction that if committed in this state, would constitute a Class A or B misdemeanor.)
• Conviction of any act which would constitute perjury or false statement
• Conviction for any domestic violence related misdemeanor crime.
• Applicant must not have been dismissed from any law enforcement unit for malfeasance or other serious misconduct.
• Applicant must not have resigned or retired from any law enforcement position while under investigation for any malfeasance or misconduct.